We are happy to announce the release of new stable version of Synfig Studio! This version summarizes our work for the last 12 months, delivering several new features and many important fixes. Please read detailed notes about the changes below.
Draft Rendering Mode
Draft rendering mode is intended to improve the usability of application with “heavy” scenes. When Draft mode is enabled Synfig turns off rendering of all time-consuming filters and applies a set of approximations to get faster updates workarea. This is useful if you wish to concentrate on animation process and need fast workarea updates while making changes to your characters and scrubbing your time cursor. To see a full list of filters that get disabled please consult this page.
You can toggle Draft rendering mode using a special button on the toolbar, right above the workarea:
Thanks to Ivan Mahonin for implementing this feature.
Filter Groups act just like ordinary groups, with just one exceptions – they do not limit scope for layers. That means, if you put several filter layers into a Filter Group, then they will be mixed together and apply as a single filter to the layers below.
What is this useful for? First, if you have a combination of filters, you can quickly enable and disable them all together with a single click.
Another advantage is that with Filter Group you can have a better control at which point blending will take place. Also, you can use blending for layers that are not supposed to have it (like Translations, Stretches, etc.). That allows you to easily create effects like mirror reflections and complex shadows.
Please check the video below to see this feature in action.
Live image reloading
When any image you have imported gets changed in external application, then it is automatically reloaded in Synfig. No need to close and re-open file to see the changes! See video demonstration:
Thanks to Artem Konoplin for implementing this feature.
Keyframe widget in Curves Panel
In previous versions it was not possible to edit keyframes directly from Curves Panel. Now you can! Also, keyframe marks now displayed with curves. Thanks to Artem Konoplin for implementing this feature.
Portable version for Windows users
Together with regular installers, we now providштп a portable build, which allows to run Synfig on Windows without installation – just unpack downloaded zip archive and start the application. This allows users to have several versions of Synfig installed on the same system.
Improved UI layout
Less space for buttons and scrollbars – more for your artwork! In this version we did some tweaks to make UI more compact.
Other GUI improvements
- Automatically select new layer when image is imported (issue #368). Thanks to Artem Konoplin.
- Allow to rename layers with F2 key (issue #465). Thanks to Artem Konoplin.
- Allow to delete layers by pressing Del key. Thanks to Artem Konoplin.
- Allow to zoom canvas by holding Ctrl and middle mouse button. Thanks to Alyssa Rosenzweig.
- Fix color wheel being stuck to red on zero saturation (issue #452). Thanks to Caryoscelus.
- Implemented correct sorting in Sets Panel (issue #372). Thanks to Caryoscelus.
- Automatically choose “ffmpeg” target when rendering to “mp4” files. Thanks to Konstantin Dmitriev.
- Remove cairo-rendering from preview dialog (issue #370). Thanks to Ivan Mahonin.
- Fix Low-Res rendering mode (issue #401). Thanks to Ivan Mahonin.
- Fixed error preventing user to move keyframe at certain circumstances (issue #503). Thanks to Artem Konoplin.
- Auto-recovery now works again (issue #363). Thanks to Ivan Mahonin.
- Fix disconnect of Transformation Parameter – it was impossible to disconnect linked (as opposed to converted) nodes of transformation type using “disconnect” action (issue #438). Thanks to Caryoscelus.
- Amount set to 0 for missing images (issue #373). Thanks to Ivan Mahonin.
- Fix for the cases when PNG file imported with incorrect color (issue #366). Thanks to Ivan Mahonin.
- Fix wrong selection area for Circle Layer (issue #442). Thanks to Olivier Jolly.
- Fix compatibility with ImageMagick 7 (issue #478). Thanks to Matthew White.
- Fix broken localization (issue #408). Thanks to Ivan Mahonin.
- Fixed crash when user press Esc key during the rotation of the object (issue #470). Thanks to Artem Konoplin.
- Fixed crash with Spline Tool tangent menu (issue #485). Thanks to Artem Konoplin.
- Fix crash on attempt to run plugin (issue #502). Thanks to Artem Konoplin.
- Fixed crash on Windows when closed file is re-loaded (issue #521). Thanks to Artem Konoplin.
- Fixed freeze on SVG import (issue #290). Thanks to Artem Konoplin.