Synfig Project Forum

Forums for Synfig Project
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:12 am 

jcome wrote:
replace dialog with normal window, the close button in GNOME 3 is back now :)

What fantastic service you get around here! A thousand thanks - that's great! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:38 pm 

Thanks DaveJ :)

To make the button groups more distinguishable, I tried withe spaces and vertical line separators. personally, I prefer the left one in the attached image.
Attachment:
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png [ 101.29 KiB | Viewed 1176 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:15 pm 

Yes, the one on the left is the best for me too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:59 am 

scroll-able preview window :),
next step, add a set of zoom in/out tools.

Attachments:
Screenshot at 2012-01-09.png
Screenshot at 2012-01-09.png [ 67.59 KiB | Viewed 1141 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:25 am 
Site Admin

Scrollable! wooohooo! \o/
-G

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:31 pm 
Site Admin

jcome wrote:
...Todo1: recall [esc] key functionality...

How is this going? I've disabled window decoration (including close/minimize buttons) for Synfig on this machine due to small screen and can currently not close the preview window... Had to re-enable decorations.

Otherwise I really like the functionality of the preview-window in 0.63.04! Especially that playback automatically goes back to fr.1 when at last frame when invoked. A nice little time-saver that ironed out one workflow speed bump.

May I suggest you move current frame display to bottom row, next to all buttons? Perhaps lower right corner.
When watching your previews you're watching middle sceen, then pressing buttons or dragging timeline you move your eyes below middle, then switching focus up to middle screen again watching your animation. Then you switch between the two navigating and watching your animation. - Now, at what frame was that motion? You have to switch focus to a third point, above your animation. Since it takes a little while to find focus when switching this is another of those small speed bumps that can be ironed out.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:03 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
May I suggest you move current frame display to bottom row, next to all buttons? Perhaps lower right corner.

Is it possible to show a continuous tooltip on the time slider? This would be very handy to have some feedback of the frame you are exactly onto the time slider.
-G

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:28 am 

***I messed up you post jcome! Sorry, should quote but edited instead!
Sorry! I'll see if I can fix it somehow!
-rylleman***

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:48 pm 

Don't worry about it, I can remember it :mrgreen:

rylleman wrote:
jcome wrote:
...Todo1: recall [esc] key functionality...

How is this going? I've disabled window decoration (including close/minimize buttons) for Synfig on this machine due to small screen and can currently not close the preview window... Had to re-enable decorations.

It was fixed in my local branch, and I will push it to my github repo asap. and ask Genete if possible to merge into 0.63.04 final release. before that, you can use [Alt]-F4 as a workaround.

Before your comments above, I didn't realize it is so important in animation production workflow, so I planned to implement it next release:) But anyway, Now it is ready.

Quote:
Otherwise I really like the functionality of the preview-window in 0.63.04! Especially that playback automatically goes back to fr.1 when at last frame when invoked. A nice little time-saver that ironed out one workflow speed bump.

I'm glad to hear that you like my tiny job on preview window :) thank you.
And there is still an annoying bug I can't manage to fix in this release circle.

Quote:
When watching your previews you're watching middle sceen, then pressing buttons or dragging timeline you move your eyes below middle, then switching focus up to middle screen again watching your animation. Then you switch between the two navigating and watching your animation. - Now, at what frame was that motion? You have to switch focus to a third point, above your animation. Since it takes a little while to find focus when switching this is another of those small speed bumps that can be ironed out.

I think it is a reasonable request, I have an idea is to merge current frame display, rendered frame and timeline, pls ref to my initial design. And based on your input, there is a room to improve the design, especial for current time display widget. The implementation is still far away from the design at the moment, but I wish I can finalize preview window improvement according to the design in next release.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:24 am 
Site Admin

Ah, great. Again, I'm so sorry, I shouldn't mess with peoples posts.
jcome wrote:
...you can use [Alt]-F4 as a workaround.

I did not know that! Then there's no hurry to get Esc-functionality back. Great you fixed it anyway! :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:49 am 

jcome wrote:
..next step, add a set of zoom in/out tools.

zoom widget and scrollable window is ready now. The scrollbars appear only in case they are need.

Attachment:
preview_window_zoomablen_n_scrollable.png
preview_window_zoomablen_n_scrollable.png [ 37.75 KiB | Viewed 1112 times ]

next step, add a set of keyboard shortcuts without modifer :mrgreen: :

"0", Scale to fit
"1", zoom to 100%
"2", zoom to 200%
"+/=", zoom in
"-", zoom out

"a", seek to previous (rendered) frame
"s", play/pause
"d", seek to next (rendered) frame
"f", toggle loop option

and then draggable window, (by mouse middle key)

and then we can have an option to hide all the UI widgets (buttons) to maximize the screen space for your artwork content :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:27 am 

It's looking fantastic - I can't wait to use it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:58 pm 

:mrgreen:

yet another step:

visible changes
- readout frame numbering moved to status bar near by the last rendered frame widget,
- dark background (customizable ) to let artists focus on their artwork content instead of ui widget,
- when switch between different zoom levels, the scrolledbar/s (if available) will be set to center position automatically. that means your artwork will zoom in / out from the center of canvas.

non-visible change
- now artists can preview those frame/s which are outside of canvas time.

Attachments:
preview_window_Screenshot_2012-02-22.png
preview_window_Screenshot_2012-02-22.png [ 37.34 KiB | Viewed 1067 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:14 am 

That looks absolutely superb jcome. :D

You can have a Preview Window open for each canvas in your animation. So I'm wondering if the title bar of the Preview Window should tell you which canvas is being shown in the Preview Window - so you can tell which Preview Window is which?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:00 am 
Site Admin

I know this is probably outside of your current preview window work but one thing I think might be useful is timeline in/out points for preview.
You quickly set the start and end points for the portion you want to see and hit preview (or rerender if already in preview window).
In point can be set by ctrl-clicking timebar and out point by ctrl-right-click.
This will spare you the step of checking the frame numbers and enter them manually in the render dialog.
(You still can manually enter frame number in render dialog if you prefer.)

I was going to ask for a bit faster previews by skipping the render dialog when rerender (from 2 clicks to one) but I can see that it is useful sometimes to have the dialog so I'm not sure.

Another thing that might be useful but also may be just cluttering the interface with another option is the ability to rerender just a small portion but keep the already rendered frames.
Say your animation is 100 frames and quite heavy, taking minutes to preview render. You do a very small change at fr.50. Then you can rerender fr.45-53 but still see the whole animation of 100fr in the preview window, with the rerendered bit incorporated.
The old frames would probably need to be marked as not rendered, red border perhaps, indicating that they may not be accurate. interpolations might be stretched out to old non re-rendered frames so the preview is not what is actually in canvas.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next